Sunday, May 29, 2011

Brisbane, Australia

I spent a fast few days in Brisbane, the capital and most populous city in the state of Queensland! Brisbane River runs through town, separating the central business district from the south shore. I spent the day walking around town - a busy few pedestrian streets packed with shopping and cafes, King George Square filled with beautiful architecture and street performers, and finally a lazy walk through the lovely City Botanic Gardens.

After a train ride outside of town, a new friend and I arrived at Australia Zoo, made famous by Steve Irwin's series The Crocodile Hunter! We spent the day visiting the animals, cuddling a koala, playing with kangaroos, and cautiously wandering through the crocodile swamps. The death of the Crocodile Hunter was mourned by people all over the world, but his life work lives on.

Dusk fell and the city roared to life for the much anticipated State of Origin, a rugby league football rival match between Queensland and New South Wales. People poured from the transit center into the street. Policemen directed traffic a sea of maroon sweatshirts and hats moved toward the stadium with chants and laughter. I watched the game with friends from one of the many pubs and hotels. With each point scored, the entire street roared with cheers! I also had the chance to catch up with two great friends I met in Egypt - Rowan and Eric! Thank you guys for an awesome few nights. It was so good to see you!