Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Healesville Sanctuary and Yarra Valley, Australia

After a short flight across Australia, I arrived in Melbourne! The temperature dropped and I made a run to the local shopping center for a jacket and warm shoes. I had the opportunity to stay with a dear friend and his family. I met Brad three years ago while traveling through Europe and we have kept in touch over the years! His family graciously welcomed me into their home. Brad's father, John, played tour-guide for the week, entertaining me with stories and jokes and sharing with me the greater Melbourne region.

John and I cruised cruised through the winding mountain roads before stopping at the Beechworth Bakery for meat pies, an Australian staple. We passed through Yarra Valley, home to a beautiful and thriving wine region. This area produces high-quality chardonnay, pinot noir and sparkling wine. We finally arrived at Healesville Sanctuary, a zoo specializing in native Australian animals and breeding grounds for such species. We spent the afternoon observing the learning about native animals - kangaroos, koalas, dingos, birds and owls, Tasmanian devils, and more!