Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Surfers Paradise, Australia

I walk down the white, sandy beach. Waves crash harshly onto the shore and ominous storm clouds linger in the distance. On the horizon, the sky is a blur and I know that rain is only moments away. Skyscrapers shoot from the sandy shore into the dark sky, creating a beach front skyline unlike anything I've seen before. Red and yellow flags clearly mark designated beaches suitable for swimming. Lifeguard stands litter the beach. Surfers grab their boards and run into the sea, anxious to catch their first wave of the day.

Surfers Paradise, a suburb on the Gold Coast, boasts excellent beaches, expensive and plentiful shopping, amusement parks and superb nightlife. Cavill Avenue, one of the busiest shopping strips in Queensland, draws crowds both day and night. Nigh life is flashy. Music pumps from bars and nigh clubs. A stretch Hummer rolls down the street. Hungry clubbers take a break from dancing and sit on the sidewalk with a kebab or slice of pizza in hand.

Once the rain finally subsided, I visited Q1, Queensland Number One, the world's second tallest residential tower and the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere! In less than one minute, the elevator races 78 floors, my ears popping throughout the ascent. I leave the elevator and my heart races just a bit as I peer through the glass. Standing 1,058 feet from street level, the foggy view of the coastline and city was spectacular!!