Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Melbourne, Australia

I spent the week in Melbourne, the most populous city in the state of Victoria and the "cultural capital" of Australia! I emjoyed a full day in St. Kilda, located just outside the city center and home to a beautiful beachfront, shopping, eclectic coffee shops and restaurants, gardens, and vintage home decor stores. Cake shops line the street, each displaying a colorful and mouth-watering display of sweets - fruit and chocolate tarts, pastries and muffins, eclairs and cream puffs, cookies and cakes! I couldn't pass up the chance to people-watch from a sidewalk cafe with a tasty slice of cheesecake to snack on.

I hopped on a city tram and made my around town, admiring the beautiful architecture and massive shopping streets. Local coffee shops and independent cafes pour onto the sidewalk, each offer differing cuisines. Street performers sing and dance in the main square. Brad and I had the chance to catch an Australian Rules Football (AFL) game, more commonly known as "footy." AFL resembles an action-packed combination of handball, football, and soccer! Brad and I cheered and sang along as Carlton narrowly beat St. Kilda in a tight and well-played match.

Evenings in the city were busy! Melbourne is home to dozens of neighborhoods, each offering a unique vibe and containing an impressive number of pubs and clubs. Federation Square, sitting adjacent to a bustling train station, bustles with lights and people at night. Even with chilly autumn temperatures, locals eat and socialize outside at restaurants and pubs, huddled casually around outdoor heaters. The Crown Casino, the largest gambling centre in the southern hemispheres, sits on the north shore of the river and lights up the banks each evening with a fun display of torches and fire.

Thank you, Malbon Family, for your generous hospitality this week! I loved spending time with you! And thank you to everyone who made my time in Melbourne so memorable - Brado, Sarah, Clay, Tommy, Lauren, Jane, and Brad! Come see me in Seattle any time!!