Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Airlie Beach and Whitsunday Islands

I spent an absolutely amazing few days sailing the Whitsunday Islands, a collection of 74 tropical islands located off the central coast of Queensland! The islands vary in shape and size and sit in the tropical waters of the Coral Sea. After a day spent relaxing on Airlie Beach, I met fifteen other backpackers and we all jumped on board the British Defender for several days of sailing, swimming, snorkeling and diving. The British Defender is a beautiful yacht and has a fascinating history - she was built in England as a high tech Racing Maxi, designed to compete in races all around the globe. She was raced in the 1990s by the British Armed Services and made famous by her success!

I lay on the yacht deck with my beach towel spread out, completely uninterested in the book I hold in my hands. Instead, I admire stunning surrounds - pure white sand beaches disappearing into turquoise water, green lush islands jetting out of the sea, lovely sunrises and sunsets. An eagle soars above our mast. I jump into the cool water with snorkel gear in tow. My friends stand on the yacht edge above and toss bread into the water around me. I laugh and scream as massive fish flop to the surface, splashing me, swimming between my legs and retrieving the food.

My new friends and I rose early for a short hike with an incredible view followed by time to enjoy the famous and stunning Whitehaven Beach. The sand is 98% silica, so the grains are extremely pure, fine and white! We spent evenings on the deck of the boat bundled up in jumpers, swaying softly side to side with each new swell. We breathed in the cool, crisp air below a star-filled sky, the flicker of boats twinkling in the distance. We played cards and games, danced and sang, pointed out constellations in the night sky, and enjoyed the awesome company of one another. An amazing crew from around the world, stunning scenery and a magical few days at sea! British Defenderrrr! After docking our yacht, I spent the final few days by the lagoon at Airlie Beach, sun-bathing, chatting with new friends, and enjoying the quiet town.