I spent a lazy few days on the Cairns Esplanade - relaxing and reading in the park under the shade of palm trees, walking along the boardwalk, and keeping myself cool with occasional dips in the lagoon! I danced the evenings away with new and old travel friends. With my time in Oz drawing to an end, I broke my backpacker bank and worked up the courage to sample local flavors. Sitting on the lovely boardwalk, I dined al fresco with delicious Australian Chardonnay in my hand. The waiter delivered my plate with a smile, before identifying the meat and fish before me - local Barramundi cod, grilled Kangaroo and Crocodile, all smothered in a honey, soy glaze!
Friday, June 10, 2011
Cairns, Australia
A short shuttle ride south of Port Douglas, I spent my last days in Australia soaking up the sun in Cairns, a city in the far north region of Queensland. Originally developed to serve miners, Cairns later developed as a major port for exporting sugar cane, gold, other metals and minerals and agricultural products. Now, this city draws tourism and pleases crowds with a lovely tropical climate and close proximity to the Great Barrier Reef!
I spent a lazy few days on the Cairns Esplanade - relaxing and reading in the park under the shade of palm trees, walking along the boardwalk, and keeping myself cool with occasional dips in the lagoon! I danced the evenings away with new and old travel friends. With my time in Oz drawing to an end, I broke my backpacker bank and worked up the courage to sample local flavors. Sitting on the lovely boardwalk, I dined al fresco with delicious Australian Chardonnay in my hand. The waiter delivered my plate with a smile, before identifying the meat and fish before me - local Barramundi cod, grilled Kangaroo and Crocodile, all smothered in a honey, soy glaze!






I spent a lazy few days on the Cairns Esplanade - relaxing and reading in the park under the shade of palm trees, walking along the boardwalk, and keeping myself cool with occasional dips in the lagoon! I danced the evenings away with new and old travel friends. With my time in Oz drawing to an end, I broke my backpacker bank and worked up the courage to sample local flavors. Sitting on the lovely boardwalk, I dined al fresco with delicious Australian Chardonnay in my hand. The waiter delivered my plate with a smile, before identifying the meat and fish before me - local Barramundi cod, grilled Kangaroo and Crocodile, all smothered in a honey, soy glaze!