Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rottnest Island, Australia

I hopped on board an express ferry and cruised to Rottnest Island for the day, a local holiday destination just off the coast of Perth!

The boat ride was quick. We docked and unloaded people and gear - Families and friends carry coolers filled with food and drink, ready for a long weekend. Kids jump off the boat and drag their parents to the nearest park with excitement. I hop on a bike and begin my trek around the island, the hot sun beating down on my skin. Quokkas, small kangaroo-like animals, sit on the side of the road under brush, keeping cool on the hot day.

The ride was difficult and breaks were entirely necessary. I enjoyed the sights and attractions of the island - gorgeous lookout points lodged high above the blue water, swim stops in rocky bays with white sand, a large lighthouse sitting atop a hill, former World War 2 Kingstown Barracks, surfers swept away in massive white waves, several dolphins surfacing for air in a small cove, boats anchored and enjoying the afternoon breeze.