Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chumkriel Language School, Cambodia

I arrived in Kampot and prepared to work at Chumkriel Language School for the week, a school that educates over 300 students in English Language. I woke each morning to my alarm, slipping on an ankle-length skirt along with a loose, cotton shirt to keep me cool in the heat. I hopped on my bike and rode several miles to school each morning and afternoon, sharing the one-lane road with over-sized trucks, cars and buses, bicycles and motorbikes, oxen and horses, rooster crossings, children, carts, tractors and potholes. People are friendly and eager to practice speaking English. As I bike past homes and street-side shops, I hear "Hello, how are you?" Curious students bike next to me as I approach the schoolyard, asking my name, where I come from, how many brothers and sisters I have, if I have a boyfriend. Then they peddle off with a giggle.

The school is simple. Classes run all day and serve children of all ages. Good-intentioned Khmer teachers work with students on a daily basis and appreciate help from native English-speaking volunteers. Supplies are limited and classrooms are unkempt. Each day a few students sweep the excess dirt off the rock floor, I cover my mouth and nose to avoid inhaling a cloud of dust.

I spent my mornings at the Learning Center with two other volunteers, fifteen young children staring anxiously at us. With no direction and no book to guide us, my new friends and I quickly brainstormed lessons and activities. We spent the week teaching colors and shapes, time, clothes and body parts. I never knew teaching English could be so exhausting! I spent the week drawing, singing, dancing, coloring, braiding, cutting, scribbling on chalkboards, making butterflies and knotting bracelets, and I still have glitter in my hair. : )

Evening classes were a bit more structured, but chaotic. Cambodian teachers teach English to the best of their ability, although at times I struggle to understand their English. They follow lesson books and assign homework. The teacher begins class in Khmer, then hands the students over to me - "Teach them" he says. I look at the book and begin to write on the white board.