Monday, March 21, 2011

Fremantle, Australia

Exhausted from the flight, I jumped on an airport shuttle to downtown Perth. I sat on the bus grasping the reality of a new continent, a new culture, and new people. The streets are clean and so calm. English is the common language once again and I can read all of the street signs with ease. Prices are high. Cars still drive down the wrong side of the road. Public transportation is well kept and easygoing locals greet me with a friendly "How you going?" and an accent that makes me smile.

I immediately caught a train to Fremantle, a small seaside suburb of Perth that sits at the mouth of the Swan River. This city is beautiful! The sky is blue, without a cloud in sight, and the cool sea breeze helps make hot days most manageable. Fremantle is renowned for its well-preserved Georgian and Victorian architectural heritage, beautiful colonial buildings lining the streets. The city has an easygoing, creative, eclectic vibe - Italian pizzerias and waterfront seafood restaurants, dusty bookshops and record stores, coffee shops and sidewalk cafes, lovely parks, countless boutiques and vintage clothing stores, and art galleries and exhibits.

I passed my days wandering the streets with new friends - touring the Fremantle Prison by night with flashlights in hand, checking out the local Maritime Shipwreck Galleries, perusing the markets and boutiques, lounging at the Esplanade and exploring the local beaches. I enjoyed delicious fish and chips on the pier one afternoon at Fishing Boat Harbor, several sea gulls fighting over each dropped french fry. I also joined a few new friends at the beach one evening. With a guitar in tow, we made our way down to the white sandy beach where we sang familiar tunes under a warm, starry night.

I also had the chance to meet up with a few good friends who live in Perth - Mat, Adam, Andy and their friends/ significant others! We spent the day at the Chili Festival, some brave souls tasting chili sauce until brought to tears. We proceeded to Little Creatures Brewery, basking in the sun on the deck and enjoying good drinks and excellent company. Thank you guys for an awesome day - so great to see you!