Thursday, March 24, 2011

Perth, Australia

Perth is the capital and largest city of the Australian state of Western Australia. The city boasts excellent shopping, sandy beaches, a lovely waterfront and boardwalk that follows the banks of Swan River, impressive colonial architecture, and beautiful, friendly people. I spent a few days exploring the city center and surrounds.

A new friend and I spent a fabulous day walking around downtown. We happened upon a Medieval Festival, where we enjoyed watching the festivities from a distance - costumes, sword fights, dancing, and camel rides! We ate lunch on the pier and walked along the boardwalk until we reached Heirisson Island, a unique island that houses 3 kangaroos! We entered the two gated entrances, careful to latch the door shut behind us, and we began our hunt for the animals of interest. After a long walk, we stumbled upon several serene kangaroos lounging in the shade to keep cool. They immediately jumped up and approached us, looking for food to no avail.

The downtown streets are busy with professionals and tourists, some run off to work and others stop to browse the numerous boutiques and listen to street performers. I admired the colonial architecture and numerous galleries and museums. I sipped an iced coffee one afternoon and wandered upon a small circle of people, some crying and others praying. Peering into the crowd, I saw a young woman singing Amazing Grace, a strong and beautiful voice, and collecting funds to assist with the tragedy that continues to unfold in Japan.

I also passed an afternoon at Kings Park and Botanical Gardens, a beautiful park with a spectacular view! I walk along the massive treetop bridge, stopping to look at the various bird and plant species. The Australian flag whips in the wind and sailboats race through the water below me. I sit upon a patch of perfectly-manicured green grass amidst families and couples, friends and co-workers. Some are sneaking out of the office for a quick lunch break and others are enjoying a lazy afternoon in the park. As I eat my packed sandwich, I admire a stunning view of the entire downtown district along side Swan River.