Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Koh Tao, Thailand

I arrived in Koh Tao, literally meaning Turtle Island, a small island located in the Central Gulf Coast of Southern Thailand. Scuba diving is the largest attraction, dive shops and resorts filling the island. I couldn't pass up the chance to dive and spent the week in the sea. :)

Apart from diving, the island was intensely laid back and the scenery was stunning. Beach-bums litter the sandy shores, hopping on scooters to get around and snorkeling in clear, blue water. Divers hop from land to boat to sea and back again. Several friends and I spent the afternoon climbing over rocks and taking a dip into the warm water, stopping to watch the sun fade behind a host of brightly colored fishing boats. I also explored the island by scooter, flying through the beautiful island roads and reaching the northern tip of the island for some phenomenal snorkeling!

Koh Tao consists of several large beaches, each offering a variety of evening scenes. Several friends and I jumped in the back of a taxi pick-up truck one evening and ventured to Sairee Beach, the most lively of the night scenes. With music pumping loudly, we danced on the beach and waded in the warm water, all while fire dancers lit up the night sky with tricks and a mesmerizing display of light. I spent most nights, however, relaxing with friends and soaking in the chill island vibe. We enjoyed beach BBQ's - a delicious assortment of satay chicken skewers, marlin, snapper and shellfish - and wandered to one of the many beach side bars. With sand between our toes and waves crashing softly before us, we sank into brightly colored cushions on the beach. We bobbed our heads to the mellow tunes of Bob Marley and sat under an impressive display of stars, enjoying each other's company and relishing the peaceful surrounds.