I arrived in Kampot and prepared to volunteer at a local school for the week! Each afternoon, in between the morning and evening sessions, I explored the town on foot and by bicycle. I joined several new friends for lunch, sipped coffee and fruit shakes, and prepared lessons for the next day.
One particular morning, I rose early and peddled to the riverfront to watch the fishing boats dock and unload the morning catch. Locals arrived by motorbike and bicycle, carrying large baskets at their side. They waded into the river and thrust their basket to the fisherman along with a wad of cash. Some sat on the road with a pile of small fish and shrimp on the ground, sorting the good from the bad. A bicycle vendor carried fresh bread and sweet cake. I also explored the local salt fields with a few friends, jumping into the back of a tuk-tuk and venturing out of town on a bumpy, red dirt road. We stopped short of the nearby ocean to peer into sheds overflowing with salt crystals. Each afternoon, I enjoyed eating along the river banks, with Khmer curry and fresh pumpkin dishes in front of me. I also enjoyed reading and relaxing in the city park!