After three and a half months in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, I bid farewell to Southeast Asia. This part of the world challenged me to live each day fully and intensely, the good and the bad. I cooked, meditated in silence, experienced the intense existence of poverty, dived, wandered ancient ruins and temples, taught English, explored mountain roads by scooter, trekked into remote villages, and grimly learned about a history I knew little about.
During my time in Asia, I encountered deep tragedy and also perfect contentment. I learned a lot about myself and the world around me. Beyond the experiences, however, I have been deeply touched by backpackers I've met along the way - a group of people whom inspire me in every way possible. I truly respect their sense of adventure, social/cultural/political awareness and their desire to learn, grow, and make change in this world. I consider myself blessed to have hiked the backpacker trail along side of these friends.
With that, I leave the land of tuk-tuks and motorbikes, squat toilets and cold showers, delicious noodle soup and tasty curry dishes, massages and night markets, fresh fruit on a stick and sidewalk kitchens, scams and persistent hassling, stunning scenery and pristine beaches, terrifying van rides and dirty night buses, remote hill tribes and over-populated cities, temples and palaces, and some of the friendliest people in the world.
Goodbye Southeast Asia. I will definitely be back to visit. :) And now I'm off to the land down under...