Sunday, December 19, 2010

Nha Trang, Vietnam

I arrived in Nha Trang ready for a bit more excitement! This city, located on the South Central Coast of Vietnam, boarders the South China Sea and is known for its beaches and scuba diving.

The city is lively and bustling with tourists. Motorbikes zip through the streets, restaurants and travel agencies line the road, vendors on foot sell books and food, locals squeeze easily into the small plastic chairs that overflow from sidewalk restaurants, taxi and bike riders hassle anyone walking within earshot, the smell of Pho lingers in the air, horns honk hellos and warnings. The evenings are lively as well with lots of bars and restaurants offering wonderful food and music all under the glow of brightly colored lanterns! Several friends and I enjoyed delicious local brew one evening at a beachfront restaurants under the moon - sand under our toes, palm trees above us and waves crashing in the near distance!

I had the opportunity to explore several islands located off the shores of Nha Trang. After waking early one morning, I joined a few friends and with towels and swimsuits in hand, we boarded a boat and cruised the sea. We jumped from the deck into the chilly water, clinging to inter tubes to stay afloat. We enjoyed traditional Vietnamese food for lunch followed by entertainment! The crew, equipped with a makeshift drum-set, guitar and microhpohone, sang and danced to music from all over the world! Within minutes, everyone on board was singing karaoke style and dancing on the benches along with the tunes! A wonderful day on the water with awesome new friends!

I also spent a lot of time at the beach in Nha Trang. The air was cool and the breeze sharp, but the water was always warm. Kite surfers glided and flipped through the water while waves crashed angrily into the soft sand. Vendors greet anyone sitting on the sand with bracelets and anklets, seafood and fruit, flyers for food and drink, sunglasses, hats, and cigarettes. Earlier this afternoon, several friends and I enjoyed a lovely fruit salad made on the beach - fresh pineapple, bananas, mangos, green dragon fruit, and rambutan!