Tailor shops are EVERYWHERE in Hoi An! The skilled crafts people make full suites for men while women purchase beautiful winter jackets and dresses of all styles and formalities. One lazy afternoon in the markets, I found myself looking at a pair of sandals displayed on a small stand outside the shop. Vietnamese sales people are persistent and very good at what they do. :) Within mere seconds, I was ushered into the store and seated in a red, plastic chair. A young girl paraded sandal after sandal before me. The mother sat sewing in the corner, asking me how many pairs I would like and offering to find me a Vietnamese boyfriend. The young girl ooo-ed and ahh-ed over each pair, explaining how she would craft my shoes a bit more narrow with thinner straps to better fit my foot. Hundreds of material samples were thrust towards me - leather or suede, plastic or fabric, smooth or textured, shiny or dull, absolutely any color. Withstanding only a few moments of this and feeling extremely overwhelmed, I finally uttered a quick excuse to escape and made a dash for the door. No more tailors for me. :)
I woke early one morning and after a wonderful breakfast, polished off with iced coffee and lime-orange juice, several friends and I explored the city by motorbike! Too scared to drive one myself, I jumped on the back and enjoyed the ride as a passenger! With wind whipping through our hair, we flew through the country-side past men, women and animals hard at work in the rice fields. The land was beautiful and green. Workers slowly trudged across the fields, shin-deep in ground water. We finally arrived at My Son, a set of ruins from the ancient Cham Empire developed between the 4th and the 13th century. Influenced by Hinduism, the ruins include temple complexes built to honor their gods and to bury their kings. Now covered in grass and spiderwebs, the ruins were fascinating to explore and learn about!
After hearing rave reviews, several friends and I ventured one evening to a restaurant called Streets. This organization was designed to provide disadvantaged youth in developing countries with culinary training, study of the English language, and assisted practice with life skills. The food was fantastic, the view from the deck seating was lovely, and the children were efficient and very sweet. We had the chance to speak with several trainees, listening to their experience, as well as the founder of the organization. A wonderful meal dedicated to a fantastic cause!