Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vientiane, Laos

Exhausted but ready to ring in the new year, I celebrated the occasion in Vientiane with several great friends! The streets were busy and music filled the air, the riverfront and central square alive with food and beverages. As the clock struck midnight, the crowd erupted into noise and dancing, silly string flying about as friends exchanged hugs and kisses. Best wishes to family and friends for a wonderful 2011!

Vientiane is the capital and largest city of Laos. My time here was short, with only one afternoon to wander around the streets - street food and the popular salted fish, Buddhist monument with Pha That Luang, a busy riverfront crowded with families and friends, vendors and sidewalk artists, and locals marching the steps to present offerings to the newly erected statue.

I also had the chance to meet up with a dear friend from home for the evening! I jumped on the back of her motorbike and we zipped through town before stopping at a night market for delicious street food and dessert. Thank you, Lisa, for spending the evening with me and showing me around town! It was wonderful to see you!