I sat by the river at dusk on evening, reading a book and enjoying the bustle of activity upon the banks of the Nam Ou. Vegetable gardens sit on steep slopes, creeping near the banks below. Several young girls skip to the water, stopping to say hello to me, and then dancing and singing the rest of the way. As they prepare to bath, the girls wrap sarongs tightly around their waist before plunging into the chilly waters with a squeal. Older women sit on plastic stools and scrub and rinse clothes until clean. Green and red wooden boats cruise past with motors humming softly. Men make their way home with fishing poles and dinner in hand. Music plays from a home across the river and singing fills the air in tune with the melody.
With a hot pink bicycle as my ride, I spent one afternoon exploring the town on wheels! I biked north of town to the Tham Kang and Tham Pha Kaew caves, previously used as bomb shelters during the Vietnam-war era. A new friend and I made our way though the tunnels and up and down small chutes with a keychain flashlight, turning off the dull light at times for the extra challenge.
I also enjoyed a wonderful last evening in this small village. Several new friends and I enjoyed delicious Indian food for dinner and spent the evening around a campfire, sharing tales of travel with one another and dodging the smoke of the fire. We also joined a local boy to the nearby Karaoke lounge where we made our best efforts to hum in tune with Lao and Thai songs.
The next day, we left by slow boat and journeyed down the Nam Ou and Meekong Rivers to Luang Prabang. We slung our bags on the front of the boat and claimed a cushion-covered bench for the 6-hour ride. The riverbanks were beautiful - sharp green mountains towering above, boats full of men with wooden fishing nets and poles, oxen grazing on the banks, families bathing and washing in the waters, and locals waving and greeting each passing boat with a hello. A lovely ride back into town!