Monday, January 10, 2011

Luang Prabang, Laos

Our night bus sped relentlessly through the winding mountain roads, our heads and bodies bobbing along. We finally arrived in Luang Prabang just as hundreds of monks poured into the streets to collect alms.

Luang Prabang, located between the Nam Khan and Mekong rivers, is beautiful and so peaceful! The people are friendly, offering smiles and hellos. Morning, noon and night markets bring life to the streets. The river bustles with boats and cafes while the main road overflows with guest houses, eco-tourism agencies, and spas! Buddhist temples are scattered about and monks walk the streets wearing the traditional orange garments.

I enjoyed several delicious meals at the corner market - mango and chocolate shakes, chicken and vegetable sandwiches, iced and hot Lao coffee, sweet and savory crepes. Perched on a small wooden bench, I sat behind the man who prepared my breakfast and I savored the thick, sweet cup of coffee in my hand. His son slept quietly under the table with a baguette in hand. Upon the table top sat an array of Tupperware stored vegetables and sauces to customize any sandwich. The vendor greeted anyone walking by with a large smile and hello.

After watching the sun set from a hillside temple one afternoon, I enjoyed a tasty dinner with good friends. My favorite spot to dine was the night market. One dimly lit ally overflowing with people, wooden benches and tables, and chatter. I loaded up a plate until it overflowed with noodles and veggies and then the vendor tossed it all into a wok before serving me! Delicious!

Several friends and I had the opportunity to try our hands at Lao cooking! We visited the morning market, learning about the local meats and herbs. Then, with aprons tied tight and a large wok before us, we watched demonstrations and cooked and ate the afternoon away.

I also spent a day visiting Kuang Si Falls and a natural reserve for the Asian Black Bear. The lush green vegetation and green water created an oasis of peace and beauty. A few friends and I hiked through the cascading waters, stopping to swim in a secluded water hole before climbing to the top of the falls. A stunning view and a wonderful day of hiking and swimming!