Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Glendalough and Kilkenny, Ireland

A day tour through Glendalough and Kilkenny!

Jen and I woke early and again jumped on board a bus along with other travelers. We first arrived and Glendalogh, meaning literally the valley of two lakes. We hiked between the lakes, climbing stairs to watch the cascading waterfall transition into a meandering stream. Jen and I walked along the water, enjoying the lush green forest sprinkled with orange and yellow leaves. The lower lake is pristine and absolutely calm, creating a crystal clear mirror image of the lake-side landscape above. It's so nice to be here for Autumn - it reminds me so much of home and I LOVE fall back in Seattle.

We spent the afternoon in the beautiful city of Kilkenny, home to St. Canices Cathedral, Smithwick's Brewery, and Kilkenny Castle. The city is very small, with only one main road running from the cathedral to the castle. The city was quaint, quiet, and friendly.