Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Santorini, Greece

And on to Santorini! I arrived in the port and was taken back by the steep cliffs that greeted me. The island is the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history and the rock structures are quite unique and interesting.

I stayed outside of town near Perissa Beach - home of black sand! The water was chilly, but nice. After checking into my hotel, I joined a new friend whom I met earlier on the ferry and we walked toward the beach to find dinner. Our meal was wonderful, but the entertainment was even better! As we ate lamb and chicken kebabs, we enjoyed traditional dancing and music. After dinner, we had the opportunity to join in with the locals, smashing plates for good luck and fortune and dancing along to the music! It was a lovely evening, perhaps a show put on for tourists, but a lot of fun!

The next day, I again met my new friend and we explored the island by ATV! We drove all over, starting at the far north end, Ia. We enjoyed lunch with a view of the water and island, appreciating the lovely white homes and blue-topped churches that faded into the side of the hill. After wandering a bit, we jumped back on the ATV and rode to Fira. Here, we walked down 588 steps to the Old Port, all the while avoiding donkeys and enjoying the steep cliffs that surrounded us. At the bottom, we had the option to walk back up, take a cable car, or ride a donkey. Of course I eagerly jumped on the back of a donkey! The experience was smelly, uncomfortable and a bit unnerving, but I laughed all the way to the top!









\