Vipassana is one of world's most ancient techniques, first taught in India more than 2500 years ago by Gotama Buddha. This non-sectarian technique is rooted in universal truths, truths about nature that are recognized by all people, in all religions, and are consistent across time. Vipassana meditation begins with concentration of the mind through observation of breath and respiration. With a calm mind, students are trained to objectively observe the impermanent nature of physical sensations while gaining insight into the interconnected relationship between the physical life of the body and the mind.
I made my way to the meditation hall, slipping my shoes off at the door. I tiptoed into the hall past the sheer white curtain into the main room, my eyes cast on the floor. I located my square, blue cushion on the white linoleum floor and sat down cross-legged. I sat amongst thirty-some students, several leaders, and one instructor. I shut my eyes tightly and waited for further instruction.
My days were ruled by the sound of the gong...Gong. Rise and shine at 4am. I threw on loose, flowing clothes and prepared for the day. Gong. Meditate in the main hall with other sleepy students. Gong. Breakfast consisted of soup, rice or noodles, a vegetable dish, a tofu dish, fruit and instant coffee or tea. Gong. Meditate in the main hall or residential quarter. Gong. Group meditation. Gong. Meditate in the main hall or residential quarter. Gong. Lunch consisted of soup, rice or noodles, a vegetable dish, a tofu dish, fruit, and dessert followed by rest time. Gong. Meditate in the main hall or residential quarter. Gong. Group meditation. Gong. Meditate in the main hall or residential quarter. Gong. Tea time consisted of tea or hot chocolate and fruit. Gong. Group meditation. Gong. Video time to discuss the practices of the day and explain instruction for tomorrow. Gong. A brief group meditation before bed. Gong. In bed by 10pm, exhausted from the day. Goodnight.
Just as quickly as the retreat began, it was over. With a sigh of relief, I began to talk with other students, reflecting on the week and finally sharing my experience verbally. The week challenged me in many ways - mentally, emotionally, and physically. I walk away from this experience with interesting insight into myself and the surrounding world, new techniques and practices, renewed self-discipline, self-awareness, and peace of mind. I look forward to incorporating these new insights and tools into my own faith.