Monday, February 21, 2011

Bangkok, Thailand

My night bus arrived in Bangkok just a little after 4am, Khaosan Road still busy and chaotic. Bars and restaurants overflow with party-hoppers. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers hassle you as you pass by - "Lady, where are you going?" Music still pounds and the aroma of pad Thai fills the air. Food vendors cannot cook fast enough to keep up with the hungry line of mouths. I finally find my hostel. I slip my shoes off at the door and crash in their lounge on a massive cushion for the rest of the night. I wake a few hours later, sticky with sweat.

This was my second time in Bangkok, but I hit the ground running! I joined other travelers on a day trip outside of town. We spent the morning wandering around the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market! Boats fill the canal, selling anything and everything. Food and drink are available - fried bananas, fresh mango and pineapple, and Thai iced tea! I crept to the water's edge and ordered an iced coffee from a docked vendor.

We passed the afternoon at an elephant, tiger and crocodile zoo. I sat in the stands while elephants and mahouts (elephant trainers) reenacted the history of elephants in Thai culture. These enormous animals drew cheers when they danced and belted soccer balls past the goalie! After the show, I couldn't hep but gasp aloud when I stumbled upon two beautiful tigers sitting only meters away from me and again when I peered down into a swamp to find crocodiles luring in the waters below. Finally, we attended a Thailand Cultural Center, where we learned about traditions and practices of the Thai people. We enjoyed demonstrations related to monk hood and wedding festivities, Muey Thai boxing and stick fighting, and finally beautiful song and eloquent dance.

I spent my last day in Bangkok reading at the riverside park, eating street food, and browsing the stalls of Khaosan Road.